Biodex System 4
The most popular and advanced dynamometer in the world just got better and easier to use.
Almost twenty five years have passed since Biodex introduced the world's first multi-mode computerized robotic dynamometer.
That event and subsequent "firsts" have made the Biodex dynamometer the choice in the most distinguished clinics and research facilities around the world.
Sports and orthopedic medicine, pediatric medicine, neurorehabilitation, older adult medicine, industrial medicine, and researchers depend on Biodex to provide consistent, accurate, objective data. Objective data that provides the best outcome for their patients... objective data that supports their research... objective data that separates their facility from the rest.
Our 200 employees strive to keep Biodex at the forefront in innovation, effectiveness, efficiency and reliability. That's why so many world class facilities depend on Biodex.
The Biodex System 4
The fastest way to identify, treat and document the physical impairments that cause functional limitations.
Advanced dynamometer technology for greater performance Redesigned seat accommodates athlete to pediatric applications Software interface, no other system is faster or easier to use Software features include:
- End by % of fatigue in Biofeedback, an exercise bout can be completed when the work for a repetition has dropped below a threshold (such as percentage of work)
- Rehabilitation Progress Report that plots strength, pain, ROM and other defined measurements...and much more Touch-screen... see it, select it, adjust it...
- it's that simple Simplified patient positioning with on-screen audio and visual aids Reduced floor space Improved Work Simulation exercises Wider Range of Normative Data athlete to pediatric Expanded after-sale support, installation and continuing education programs
Combine the art and science of rehabilitation
The Biodex System 4 continues to offer pioneering breakthroughs in neuromuscular testing and rehabilitation technology. Biodex assessments of physical impairments provides patients a fast, effective, documented return to function. The Biodex System 4 is unusually sensitive to your patient's limits. Progressive and interactive features keep you in complete control. Dynamic and static muscle loading environments provide unlimited combinations of technique and application.
Isokinetic Resistance Mode
The Isokinetic Resistance mode for testing and rehabilitation is totally accommodating throughout the entire range of motion. Biodex's unique impact-free acceleration and deceleration eliminates joint trauma, allowing patients to exercise and be tested at more functional speeds. Resistance continuously matches effort, accommodating to variations in patient force output due to weakness, pain or fatigue at specific points in the individual's range of motion. Research along with over 25 years of clinical application has demonstrated that isokinetic resistance is a safe, objective means to quantify physical impairments with a high correlation to function. Isokinetic testing is the standard for muscle and joint assessment. Applied torque response ensures that the patient's limb velocity increases or decreases in proportion to the torque applied during acceleration and deceleration, enabling neuromuscular control measurements. Choose concentric and eccentric contractions to perform isolated polymetric exercises.
- Concentric torque up to 500 ft-lb (680 Nm) and eccentric torque up to 400 ft-lb (542 Nm) accommodates the demands of high performance athletes and sports medicine researchers.
Reactive Eccentric Mode
The Reactive Eccentric mode for submaximal neuromuscular re-education in the early phases of rehabilitation The System 4 responds only to the patient's force output. To initiate movement, the patient must produce and maintain a pre-determined minimum amount of force. This loads the muscles surrounding the joint, producing a pre- load, thus stabilizing and protecting the joint. Eccentric torque up to 400 ft-lb (542 Nm)
- Accommodates the demands of today's athletes and sports medicine researchers.
Passive Motion Mode
The Passive Motion mode is a multi-function modality. Unique control properties allow for early intervention in all patients throughout all phases of rehabilitation. Torque limits can be set as low as .5 ft-lb (.7 Nm). If a torque limit is exceeded during an eccentric contraction, the System stops. Once the patient's torque output drops below the prescribed limit, movement is allowed. This unique capability allows patients to work safely at definitively prescribed sub-maximal force levels while combining isometric, concentric and eccentric contractions for:
- decreasing joint effusion
- increasing range of motion
- developing strength Passive speeds can be set as low as .25 degree per second and as fast as 300 degrees per second. The very slow speeds allow for overcoming the natural stretch reflex. Ideal for proprioceptive testing in early stages of rehabilitation. Biodex software includes specific protocols for active and passive joint repositioning. Higher speeds in passive mode are ideal for active assistive exercise.
The Isometric mode is commonly used pre and post operatively or when pain associated with motion is a factor. Isometric contractions are effective at developing strength and decreasing joint effusion while avoiding painful points in the range of motion. Biodex software automates the rehab process with automated multiple angle isometric protocols. Work the agonist, antagonist or both muscles at specified joint angles.
The Isotonic mode allows velocity to vary while providing inertia-free constant force and concentric or eccentric muscular contractions. Higher performance:
- Isotonic force to as low as .5 ft-lb (.7 Nm) = 6 inch pound; and as high as 400 ft-lb (542 Nm) Allows for functional task simulation when using work simulation tools, e.g. turning a doorknob. Because the force is selected, the Isotonic mode also provides protective pre-loading of the joint prior to movement. Ideal for work simulation. Constant force muscle loading is considered functional, as natural activities normally involve moving a constant weight object at varying velocities.
Enjoy complete freedom in planning the mode and level of clinician interaction that works best for each patient. Touch panel controls give clinicians the hands-on ability to adjust torque, speed, range of motion and other clinical parameters in real time.
The Biodex System 4 also allows clinicians the option to select automated test and exercise sessions. Any sequence of modes can be employed automatically.
Customized Motor Control
The Researcher's Toolkit Software (optional) allows for advanced specialized system control. Ideal for researchers investigating neuromuscular performance.
Fast and easy to use
What's the best piece of equipment? The one that's used the most. System 4 makes a point of being easy to use for all skill levels, bringing the clinical advantages of this technology to every application.
Touch Screen for quick, easy operation. See it, select it, adjust it. It's that simple. Advantage Software™
In today's regulated environments, accurate and timely data collection and documentation are absolutely essential. Positioning set-ups are as simple as turning the dynamometer and chair to the labeled joint pattern. Easy-to-follow wizards guide the inexperienced user through the software while the Windows® based application is flexible for the advanced user. Innovative, on-demand action videos demonstrate exercise and test patterns – so there is no forgetting how to set up!
Biodex Versatility and Marketability
To remain competitive in today's dynamic marketplace, you need to be adaptable. To be adaptable, you need equipment that can keep pace with progressive thinking and innovative therapies. You need dependable, versatile tools that give you the means to take on new challenges and extend capabilities. You need a device that can be used to test and rehabilitate patients ranging from the most frail to world class athletes.